Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Slow Mo

I must admit that I'm a (American) football fan.  Sorry, I just can't help it.

Anyway, in an exciting game, we sometimes see that catch by the receiver right on the very edge of the field.  Was the foot inbounds? In the replay, the broadcast will slow down the video and even enlarge one portion of the screen so we can look for those 2-3 blades of green grass between the foot and the white edge

Hmm, slowing down to make things clear.  Where have I heard this before?  Zooming in on a crucial spot so we can each sixteenth note blade of grass.  Clearly.  Replaying the music catch over and over until there's no doubt.

Call me crazy, but doesn't this have something to do with music?
(hmm, even my recorder is made by Zoom...too bad it doesn't slow things down)

I plan to be teaching for a long time.  Right this instant, there are little babies out there who will fall in love with music, pick up a trombone and end up taking lessons with me (or some other trombone teacher).
I have a prediction:

  1. They often won't be very patient 
  2. They usually won't slow things down enough to really clarify the notes.  
  3. AND once they get it right, they'll forget that getting it right is the beginning of your practice, not the end.  


Slow it Down so that it's Clear!  Really clear!  
Like "Blades of Grass" clear!

Here's a good blog post about the importance of slowing down when you practice.
Here's an older post of mine about one practice technique for slowing things down.


I guess we can go other sports that require that focus and precision.  Such as gymnastics...




Or tennis...

Or the other football...



But for me, it's still American football.  What can I say?