Saturday, December 16, 2006

Taliban Habits

This one's been bouncing around in my head for a while.

In teaching, I seem to deal a lot with habits. Bad habits are sneaky little buggers. Just when you think you've gotten rid of that pesky old bad habit and replaced it with a shiny new good habit, the bad habit sneaks back in.

This is especially true under pressure, I think. I just finished listening to all the brass juries and watched my students struggle to bring out those new, good habits.

Some succeeded, others.... oh well.

All this reminds me of the news. We invaded Afghanistan and quickly defeated the Taliban. So why is it that, after such a convincing victory, they seem to be making a resurgence?

We attacked and they faded into the background to lay in wait.

Are habits like that?
They say you never really truly forget anything so I guess it's true that all those bad habits just sit around in your memory waiting to creep back in when you let your guard down.

The really strong ones, let's call those "Taliban Habits." As long as you play, they'll never really go away...not completely.

Only one answer:
ETERNAL VIGILANCE