Friday, November 30, 2007

Why is this so hard?

Here's a simple little tuning exercise that's not as easy as it looks...










Some players, once they own that trigger, begin to believe that all positions beyond 4th are alien territory. Thus a simple gliss to 6th seems to give trouble.

After finding 6th, you would think it a simple matter to gliss back to 5th accurately. Nope!

I think there are several reasons for this..
1. When we do our beloved Remington long tones, we are always measuring out from 1st position. Accurately "measuring out" is something we do a lot, but "measuring in" is something we don't practice. Maybe we should do that famous Remington pattern inverted.






2. (disclaimer, this is pretty speculative, I may have it wrong)
Beyond 4th position, the elbow begins to have to extend beyond a right angle and seems to be less accurate.

Anyway, try those glisses out with a tuner (look first, then listen), see what you think.

2 comments:

John Bailey said...

Does your comment mean that players are depending on the valve to get them beyond 5th all the time? As as straight horn player, I find the center of my slide is around 3 and 4, and I've got several 3s, 4s, 5s and 6s for lots of notes in 4th through 8th partials. F in 6th has become much more natural than 1st following G in 4th. 7th is a bear, but 6th is as good as 2nd, I think. If I were to have a valve and use the positions in this manner above and then USE the valve, I'd have to pop back into 1st or 2nd plus valve to get anything useful. Maybe there's a loss of slide skill among the valve using crowd?

Travis said...

I tried this remmington in reverse and it requires more air. I typically try to do the hole partial in one breath with metronome at about 80 bpm. Much more air is required to do the exercise in reverse. I believe that is an additional benefit to your suggestion.