Wednesday, March 16, 2011

BoneWeek 7

After a few false starts and dead ends, I managed to knock out another BoneWeek Fanfare. I started writing these in celebration of International Trombone Week. You can find the previous fanfares both on my website and the ITA website.

A few notes about this one.
  • There are no "quotes" of well-known trombone pieces
  • I tried to avoid falling back into any clich├ęs (not easy sometimes)
  • I wanted it to have some rhythmic energy and no obvious presentation of a melody (see above)
With any of these fanfares, I use an odd test: would I want to play it. When I'm at a convention (like the Eastern Trombone Workshop which I'm missing...sigh) and looking through music I might purchase, I often look at the score and say, "Yuck, I wouldn't to play that part." The most common cardinal sin of composers and arrangers:
  • putting all the interest into the first part and thus generating boring parts for everyone else
  • making the first part so tiring that it becomes difficult to program such a chop-buster
These goals aren't difficult, so why do so many arrangements fail these tests. Lazy arrangers?

Anyway, here's the fanfare from my website. If you put it on a program, please let me know. It's always nice to get a concert program for my files.

You may ask, "How many of these things are you going to write?"

I have no idea.

Here's the link: BoneWeek Fanfare #7

1 comment:

Jeff said...

What if the musical requirements don't make for exciting parts? Lot of orchestral pieces have parts that aren't "fun" to play, but the music is good, so it is fun to do my (our/your) part.